It’s easy for any business to claim its business listing on Google for free by filling out a simple form. Following best practices for completing those forms and optimizing your Google My Business page, however, takes some expertise.
Even if you fill out each field and upload additional content such as photos or videos, your listing can still be outranked by businesses that haven’t claimed their listings. And higher rankings always mean greater exposure to people searching for services and products online. We can help make sure that all of the information Google Places looks for is part of your Google My Business listing so that you get the most from your presence there.
Factors that matter in your Google Maps ranking.
Google My Business uses an algorithm that not only looks at the basic information you’ve entered for your listing; it also looks at more than 50 ranking factors, none of which are related to filling out your Google Local page. Among these factors, the following carry the most weight in determining your ranking in local search:
- SEO: How your website has been optimized for search engines
- Citations: Whether your name, address and phone number match other business listings you have on the web
- Reviews: Google My Businessl reviews and others found around the web
- Proximity: The relative location of your business to your city’s geographic center
- Consistency: How consistent the citations or mentions of your name, address and phone number are in listings across the web
Google’s algorithm uses these factors to do two high-level things:
- Return the most relevant results for the user, which is the core of Google’s service
- Combat spam
Understanding that these two things must be balanced is key — you have to make your business relevant to search terms, but do so in a way that meets Google’s guidelines, or else your rankings can drop. There’s something of a fine line here, and most business owners need some help to know where that line is so that they can maximize the effectiveness of their listings.
We specialize in Google My Business optimization.
A page-one ranking on Google My Business is a business asset, so we’ve focused on bringing this value to our clients with specialized Google My Business optimization services. It’s entirely different than traditional search engine optimization and requires not only special training, but also a commitment to staying current on Google Places best practices. If you’re ready to realize the benefits of Google Local optimization, please give us a call at (256) 405-9515 for a free consultation or complete the contact form on this page.